Categories
Health

A woman in Australia discovered her headaches were caused by tapeworm larvae in her brain – CNN

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/03/australia/australia-tapeworm-headache-brain-scn-trnd/index.html

The best line of defense against similar infection is cooking meat to safe temperatures, washing your hands with soap prior to consuming and just consuming food you can make sure was prepared in sanitary conditions.

Tapeworms usually settle in humans intestines, an infection known as taeniasis, and some can
pass on their own without medication. When individuals take in undercooked pork– pigs are frequently intermediary tapeworm hosts– or come in contact with water, food and soil infected with tapeworm eggs, the parasite is commonly transmitted.

A male from Texas had a similar experience, suffering from splitting headaches for more than a years that
turned out to be triggered by tapeworm larvae that ended up being lodged in his brains fourth ventricle.

The pains were triggered by tapeworm larvae that had taken up area in her brain, according to a new study on her case by the
The American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene published on September 21.

This condition is referred to as
neurocysticercosis, which can cause neurological signs when larval cysts establish in the brain. Individuals who get the parasitic infection do so by swallowing eggs discovered in the feces of an individual who has an intestinal tract tapeworm, according to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

The woman, who worked as a barista, was considered to be at no or extremely low danger of infection with tapeworm larvae however is believed to have in some way inadvertently consumed tapeworm eggs released from a carrier.

CNNs Scottie Andrew added to this report.

An MRI of her brain led medical professionals to think that a tumor may be the reason for her discomfort, but after operating and removing the sore, they discovered it was in fact a cyst loaded with tapeworm larvae. After the removal, she needed no additional treatment.

The female, who never ever traveled overseas, is the first native case of the disease in Australia, the study said. Previous Australian cases of this infection were from immigrants or returning locals who took a trip to areas where the disease is endemic to, such as Africa, Asia, and Latin America.
For the past 7 years, the female experienced headaches that would happen 2- or three-times a month and went away with recommended migraine medication. Her newest headache lasted for more than a week and came with more serious visual symptoms, consisting of the blurring of her central vision.

Neurocysticercosis is fatal, and a leading cause of adult onset epilepsy worldwide, the CDC said.